View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:25 PM   #249
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all~ KATTARA Type 1.

In this post I consider "what I call" Type 1 Kattara i.e. only those curved blades with the long Omani hilt Other types I include in the next post as Kattara Type 2.

The Curved Omani Sword. No matter what the blade is known as in other countries the name Kattara is applied from the Omani viewpoint. That means Shamshir, Nimcha, Shasqka etc all get the same label Kattara in Oman. The term appears to be a late addition into the language and "may be" a bastardised word from African, Indian or English (Cutter?) etc etc.

It comprises a curved blade often either Caucaz, Central European, German, Mediteranean, and in the Shamshir; Persian and Indian. In addition there is Red Sea influence and blades of Saudia, Yemeni, Zanzibari, manufacture etc. The main feature in the Omanisation process is in the long hilt which de-weaponises many of the swords since it does away with the quillons. The other addition is of course the Omani Scabbard. The item then achieves Iconic status; as this thread describes earlier.

The date guestimate of this variant hybrid coincides, perhaps, with the introduction of the dancing sword (in the above post) with which it shares hilt and scabbard style. Somewhere in the 18th Century and perhaps parallel to the current dynasty taking power. The exact date, however, is not yet proven.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 3rd March 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote