View Single Post
Old 16th June 2017, 02:02 AM   #9
pbleed

While hunting Ainu cutlery I have seen a couple of these short sword that have carved koshirae that seems to reference Ainu motif. They feature something like "fish scale" designs. they are carved on dark wood and they don't look terribly "Japanese." I even one one of these swords, but I have to admit that they do not fit neatly and clearly into Ainu style. My sword of this style is actually a spear point that re-purposed as a sword. That, too, seems appropriate for Ainu swords since they often are built around blades that would NOT be "good" to Japanese users. They're always short swords, too. Finally, these swords often seem to be well carved - as if they were made by Japanese professionals FOR the Ainu market rather than fitted out by Ainu carvers. I prefer the rustic style of individualized Ainu pieces.
The Ainu trade featured lots of items that were made by Japanese officials as ceremonial pieces for men that Japanese wanted to be recognized as important - their pals. I wonder if this sword - and this type - may have been that sort of thing. In any case, I would not work too hard to expose the tang of the blade. It is VERY unlikely to be significant as a "Japanese" blade.
Peter Bleed
pbleed is offline   Reply With Quote