Thread: Garab Pattern
View Single Post
Old 26th December 2013, 03:27 PM   #17
Spunjer

thanks for everyone's excellent example!
kino, your second picture turned out great! seems to be the contrasting handle/scabbard is more common. it does look good tho. even John's example seems to be contrasting as well..
John, you should try etching yours, you never know! like i said, i never expected mine to be laminated. easiest way to find out would be the "hot water test" (strip oil then run the blade under hot water. if it's laminated, you'll see the lamination appear before your eyes). also, thanks for the scabbard shot. the "eye" is very similar to Detlef's talibon.
Montino, the pommel on yours is an enigma. i had a similar pommel before, but it didn't have the eyes and mouth. looking at the overall picture, it could be a snake type creature (naga or bakunawa?)
Detlef, what i'm concern about is the purpose of these so-called eyes. perhaps, it's just that, a decoration, but with all the symbolism and mysticism of that time period, especially with the Pulahanes cult, it could be something that the original owner have to earn, like his rank within the group. or perhaps an anting-anting (magical amulet) granted by the leader? it's a fact that the Pulahanes were given some type of oraciones (a mystical incantation) written in a piece of paper given to them by the leader before going to a battle to render them invincible, so perhaps these eyes would be a variation? a pre-drilled hole on the scabbard's toe would be logical just in case they get awarded with an anting-anting
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote