View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2006, 01:31 PM   #5
Abravefan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysMichael
I cannot add to anything Ian said about the description. As to value, appaisals are not done on this forum. That being said if it was given to you by your father 20 years ago that alone should add some personal value to it. Particularly if he passed on any stories of how and where it came into his possession. Did your father serve the country in Nam perhaps ? As often discussed here there are many ways to value a sword. If you are simply interested in the monetary value look on ebay for many similar swords. If you do this for a while you can weed out the values that are off base and get a feeling for the true price it would sell for.
I apologoze if I was missunderstood. I wasn't looking for a specific value, nor do I have any intentions of selling it. I simply was looking for any information I could get pertaining to where it may have come from and how old it was.

My father gave me the sword for my 14 birthday. For that reason alone I have no plans to sell it. He didn't serve in the military and never gave me any background on how the sword came into his possesion.

I guess a better way of presenting what I was trying to ask is this:

From what Ian has written in this post and others on this site there seems to have been many of this Thia type of sword manufactured with the sole intent of selling them as souviners to the G.I.'s from the mid 60's to early 70's. Were there any better quality swords made at that time that are similar and if so, what is something to look for? Or with my sword matching a lot of the descriptions Ian has given, is it more than likely maunfactured just as a souviner.

Again I'm not trying to put a dollar amount on it. Just trying to get a good idea of it's history.

Again thanks for the help given and any that may follow.
Abravefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote