View Single Post
Old 13th December 2009, 09:43 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am always delighted when Jens posts this fabulous tulwar! The blade on it is a fantastic example that reflects so many important features, and emphasizes the widened point which evolved from the yelmaned swords of Turkic tribes.

Mauro I must apologize for not properly citing those references, which I normally do, but am afraid I just got lazy

"Catalogue de la Collection D'Armes Anciennes de Charles Buttin"
Rumilly, 1933 . As noted the Arab sa'ifs with ringed bridge are shown as previously cited.

"Les Poignards et les Sabres Marocains" in Hesperis, Tome XXVI, 1939 p.1
Charles Buttin

Buttin lived in Morocco much of his life, and was one of the foremost collectors and researchers of arms and armor of his time.

"A Late 15th Century Italian Sword" by Anthony North (formerly of Victoria Albert Museum, retired)
"The Connoisseur" Dece,ber, 1975, p.239
Excellent information on the associations between early Italian swords and the Moroccan sa'if (nimcha).

"Armi Bianchi Italiene", Boccia & Coelho, Milan, 1975
Excellent resource on Italian swords and daggers of Renaissance period, and profound detail on markings.

A number of years ago, Louis-Pierre Cavaille, an excellent researcher and writer who once posted here, did some outstanding work titled "Nimcha du Maghreb" which shows distinctions between Arab and Maghreb nimchas.
The web site address:
http://blade.japet.com/NIMCHA/N-introd.htm

We have tried many times over the years to put together comprehensive book lists, however these efforts have usually tailed off. I know that for me here in 'the bookmobile' my holdings are limited, and I often rely on previous posts for detailed information, especially titles.
I simply use the search feature at the top header, and as in this case, found the Anthony North article listed by use of his name from a 2005 thread.

I have always regarded Italy as a key source for styles in weaponry throughout these trade routes, and the nimcha is a classic example.
It is interesting that the same basic hilt guard system is seen from Arabia to North Africa, and eastward to the decorative kastane hilts of sabres of Ceylon (Sri Lanka).
In the 17th century, trade contacts and other interaction such as with 'Barbary Pirates' led to keen awareness of these 'exotic' hilts and influenced weapons in France and England. There are several known portraits on influential English figures of 17th century wearing swords with these hilts.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote