View Single Post
Old 25th June 2007, 03:30 PM   #113
Kiai Carita

Default Ki Hadisugito and olah rasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
dear Bram,

Does Ki Hadisugito have not performed shadow puppet anymore?! ....
.................................................. ..........................................
Back to spirit aspect, especially, of keris. What is your opinion in how to trigger for activating the inner spirit of both the practioner and his keris?

warm salam,

OeS
Raden, I last saw Pak Hadisugito around 9 years ago, and at that time he wasn't performing anymore due to ill health. Some of his sons were, but not as successfull as him. However, around Yogya you can still find recordings of some of his performances, including, Bagong Ratu. In fact thanks to recording technology, we can still enjoy Nartosabdho years after he passed away.

As to spirit in keris - I am not really interested in the Aladien type of spirit, nor am I interested in having a jinn for a slave (Khadam), but like all good art, the keris also has a spirit inherent in it, from the maker and from the materials. How do you activate the spirit? You must study it, in much the same way as an actor must study Hamlet before being able to deliver the famous line - "to be or not to be, that is the question" ... Everyone knows that Shakepeare is a good writer but not everyone can bring his words to life. Same with a keris, the 'spirit' or power is there, but you can't bring it to life if you don't have it in you.

In Jawanese terms I was taught that you must use 'olah rasa' to be able to feel the truth about the keris. The way to olah rasa that I was taught is called 'gerak nurani' - which is more or less similar to the 'latihan' they do in Subud. You must learn to 'ngetutake krenteg' - follow in flow the split-second decisions of your feeling and let your mind relax and not think, move and flow 'pasrah' surrender to Allah. This exercise done over and over activates a sixth sense. Once this rasa is active, you have your spirit activated, you will find it easy to touch and fill and bring fourth the spirit of a keris.

Warm salaams,
Bram
Kiai Carita is offline   Reply With Quote