Thread: Howdah Pistol
View Single Post
Old 1st October 2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Bill M

Default Howdah Pistol

I feel like a kid at Christmas! Just won this auction! Here is what the seller said about it!

"A very good, all original (not cut down from a shotgun) 19th Century Howdah. About 70 cal, straight rifled barrels, works good, no major blemishes. It appears the nose cap and trigger guard are silver, quite a bit of the chain design on the damascus remains, screws in good shape. The grip cap is missing."

The rifling is straight. No twist! Anyone know anything about this? Never seen it before. Better pictures when I receive it.

Seller traded a 1954 Bel Aire Chevy for it in 1975. He took it out to his junkyard and fired it with light black powder and lead shot.

His buddy brought it back from Africa in 1965. More info later.

Here is a little flowery description of howdah pistols, I don't see anything copywrited here, The "Howdah" is the name of the basket on the Safari elephant's back in which the buana white hunters pursued their trophies. Occasionally a wounded tiger would attack the elephant jumping into the basket and attempting to kill all inside. A rifle in this situation is next to useless, needed was a rifle powered handgun which could be brought into position to quickly and certainly dispatch the threat.

It is a treasure of the days of the Raj, the dangerous big game safaris to be talked about in club rooms over a slightly warmed brandy...

"I say, have I already mentioned my recent safari? Bagged that rhino on the wall up there. My rifle failed after the first shot, had to finish the blighter with my Howdah. Little windy about another trip, eh, what?"

The business end. Check out the rifling! No tiger is going to survive jumping in my Howdah!!!
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote