View Single Post
Old 9th July 2012, 03:59 PM   #17
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Norman,

This sure is a most interesting find for a Scotsman, and quite early as well, and I am glad I was able to lend a helping hand. For a comprehensive description however I should add that it is a composite piece, not belonging together originally and having undergone several alterations, including the sear and spring on the inside of the lock.
As the three holes in the tang, two of which have been riveted, denote the barrel was in at least two other stocks before the present. Additionally, the crude brass filling of the touch hole makes me wonder whether it was only burnt out or maybe worse, and why it was 'repaired' that rudely.
Two iron bands are missing from the forestock, and maybe an additonal band from the muzzle, where a few splinters of wood have gone.
I remember seeing the decorative and wavy (pyrography?) foliage of the stock on other Scottish firearms before but cannot tell exactly where.

I attach a couple of information on Scottish snaphances for the community which I sent you earlier privately.
The first shows a detached lock mechanism, ca. 1670-80, sold Christie's, and the other a long 'ramshorn' scroll but pistol in excellent condition, the pan shield dated 1662, from a dealer's page, and marked sold. The ends of the first lock terminate in the same acanthus-leaf shaped decorative finials as on your musket.

It would be great if an expert in Sottish firearms could identify the now indistinct barrelsmith's (?) marks on the left side and perhaps assign the star-like punched decoration to some locally confined provenance. As I told you, the quadrangular recess above the breech formerly probably held either a dove-tailed back sight or a brass lined mark.

What baffled me at first was the fact that the buttstock of your gun is not of the characteristically bent, bellied and hollowed form associated with most Scottish arms but rather shows an English/Dutch or European musket design. On the other hand, I like the identical design of the top jaw screw and the typical Scottish trigger, without a guard.

Anyway, I attach some characteristic Scottish snaphance guns, all scanned from Howard L. Blackmore, Guns and Rifles of the World, 1965.

Most interestingly, of all these instances only the detached mechanism on top shows the same rectangular piercing above the toe of the cock as your musket, as a rest for the nose of the sear.

Enjoy your find!

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 9th July 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote