Thread: Kaskara
View Single Post
Old 25th April 2018, 08:54 PM   #14
Selohr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
That does look like the blade was fullered rather than a more touristy flat stock. the wormholes in the grip could be filled in with superglue to help stabilise the wood if you do try cutting with it. If there is no staple/bent nail/cotter pin hidden under the wrap, holding the grip scales and blade, I'd be leery of cutting anything with it, especially with anyone in the immediate vicinity that might be hit by a flying blade while you are left holding the remains of the grip. The long ones were often used from camelback & would be an impediment if dismounted, or trying to defend a building, these, like naval hangers (and roman gladii) are more suited for close work. A lot of indigenous people STILL guard their homes with cold steel.
Had some time to examine it and the movement within a hilt is because the wood of the grip has rotted towards the guard, it does seem to be held by a rivet beneath that leather strip wrap, in any case I won't attempt any swinging until i find a way to fix it. I suppose it will require taking the grip off and making a new one. Anybody got any tips on restoring the leather of the scabbard, it is very dry and starting to crack?
Was thinking on selling it as is but my kid said that he wants to have it when he grows up...I was a bit surprised he would prefer it over the shiny, modern reproduction European swords I have...
Selohr is offline   Reply With Quote