View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2007, 04:17 AM   #18
Chris Evans

Hi Gav,

You have a very nice collection. That large navaja is a beauty and most valuable.

I fear that Fernando, overstates my knowledge of navajas, but all the same will try to make a couple of comments:

That large antique navaja is in all probability a "Sevillana", that is from Seville, though one can never be certain without the cutler's brand or name. Forton dates similar pieces as late 19th century. Its high level of decoration and oversize blade tags it as a cutler's show piece - Then the Spanish upper classes still looked down on the navaja with utter contempt and the workers could not afford such an elaborate piece. The brass liners on each side of the blade, near the pivot, as well as the file work on the spine was a decorative feature found mostly on showpieces. All in all, a most collectable museum grade piece.

Now for the ones in the case:

The top one, with the aluminium handle has me wondering, but is in all probability post WWII, 60's perhaps. The ring pull on the spine spring suggests French. A further clue could be obtained from the lock: If it is a teat lock, then more likely than not French or Italian. If it has a rectangular "window" on the spine spring and it engages with blade ratchets or a single notch then probably Spanish. In the absence of a maker's brand positive identification of these clasp knives is very difficult as they were being made all over Europe.

The second from the top, by Alvaro Garcia, is typical of what was being turned out in Spain in the first half of the 20th century. According to a Spanish industry source, this cutler started working in 1878 and continued into the early 1930's after which his son Ricardo Garcia took over. The family is still active in Albacete. The difficulty in dating your navaja is whether it was made by Garcia senior or junior. For a start, the external spine spring definitely dates it as post 1900. At a guess, judging by the broad blade shape, I am inclined to think that it was made more towards the middle of the 20th century than earlier. As a broad generalization, as the 20th century progressed, Spanish made blades became wider. This blade shape is nowadays fancifully known as "bandolero" (that of bandits) despite that originally they were utilitarian in intent and that in earlier eras were referred to as "lengua de vaca" (cow's tongue). A strong clue could be obtained from the grind of the blade; If made by a grinding stone (rough), then it pertains to early 20th century but if by mechanized means (very smooth&polished), then it is a later product, since electric motors were not adopted until well into the 20th century. As an aside, I also have one of his navajas, but it has a much narrower blade.

The fourth from the top: Forton does list a CA (with an additional symbol over it) brand; At least one specimen is known of with the additional word "JEREZ" above the brand; This may be a clue to its origins - it is Spanish and pertains to the 19th century. Being without a lock, is what in Spain is known as a "navaja con cierro de fieles", ie a rivet lock, a real misnomer. These days we would call this type a friction folder. According to Forton this kind was the only one allowed by law in old Spain, notwithstanding the presence of locks on many others. - The very presence of such friction folders and the huge numbers of French imports without positive mechanical locks attests to the fact that the laws were in fact enforced, notwithstanding periodic laxness in this regard - This typology was probably normative in the olden days and is being used widely to this day. The famous navajas of Taramundi are a good example - Very utilitarian and functional, but rarely of high quality.

The fifth down is a 20th century piece. I have a couple that were made, I am told, by a defunct factory of Albacete in the 60s and were intended for export. They are of very poor quality, with an aluminium frame and stainless steel spring & blade. There is a fellow who still sells them on a Spanish forum, some with blades up to 10 inches. Actually, I bought three, but the moment I slightly flexed the blade of one it snapped!

The bottom one: I am afraid that your friend was right. I also have a similar one. These were made as cheap tourist souvenirs. After WWII The brand "Toledo" was stamped on knives made all over Spain, in an attempt to cash in on the reputation of their famous swords of yesteryear.

An end note: One of the problems we have in appraising pre 1900 Spanish made navajas is that the ones that saw day to day use had a short life and were very rough works, not very collectable and as such few survive. What remains are for most part showpieces and in a sense tend to misrepresent the genre.

If you haven't already done so, you may consider obtaining copies of Forton's "La Navaja Espaņola Antigua" (Spanish only) and "Navajas Antiguas, Las Mejores Piezas De Coleccion/Antique Clasp Knives, The Finest Collection Items" (Spanish&English). Forton is the leading authority on navajas and both books are standard reference works for antiques. For post 1900 navajas there isn't very much written, though probably the best work is by Jose Sanchez Ferrer's "Introduction Al Estudio De La Cuchilleria Artistica De Albacete" (Spanish only).

Cheers
Chris
PS Sent you a PM

Last edited by Chris Evans; 3rd November 2007 at 05:19 AM.
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote