View Single Post
Old 1st May 2005, 09:54 PM   #22
knife7knut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hyle
Knife7knut. Not only grain, but I think I see either a hardening line or an inlaid edge (both are possible on Japanese work). This swelltipped sheath is AFAIK derived of naginata sheaths. The handle mirrors it to some degree. What of the inlays? MOP for the round ones? The stripes? Aluminum? I've had a nice old Japanese letter opener shaped like a dagger, and it was traditionally shaped, and seemed to show some grain on the tang, but was not hardened steel. From Japan, as from many countries, of course, BTW, letter openers would be largely for native use, and though not true weapons, also are not neccessarily tourist pieces though that's a common lumping. Traditionally literate nations......
The dot inlays appear to be made of lead or some other relatively soft metal.You can score it with your fingernail.The light colored rings appear to be ivory(under a glass a definite,"layering"is observed)and between them are what appears to be a black polished horn.I at first thought it was synthetic,but upon rubbing it briskly,it gave off no tell-tale odor.
At first I could not discern a grain,but when using a more powerful glass detected a vertical grain(when looking at the ends that abut each other)and a grain parallel to the horizontal axis of the knife.Unusual in that although the grain is present there is virtually no color differentiation that I can see.
The tiny pin and the bushing where preumably a tie went through is made of ivory also. Thanks for your input.
Ray
knife7knut is offline   Reply With Quote