View Single Post
Old 13th October 2018, 11:47 PM   #1
josh stout

Default need help: black forest? statue with cane

My apologies for this not being completely weapons based, but the gentleman seems to have a heavy walking stick (or perhaps it is the old woman's?), so it is slightly related.

The scene of a gentleman/fop having his palm read appears to be in wood and ivory. A hot pin did not sink in, and came away with the smell of burning wood.

My daughter found it in her great grandmother's attic after being told she could keep whatever she found. Anything could be there. Other things included a czarist era Cossack outfit and antique Mexican masks, as well as piles of cheap tourist junk.

I have been unable to find any information on about it, and I cannot find any makers' marks. It does seem to resemble "Black Forest" carvings, but I have no idea. A local antique dealer told my daughter it is made of resin. I think he is very mistaken, but I have been wrong before. All the pieces are separate, and not cast together. For example, there is what appears to be an ivory peg that would have held a now lost beer mug. The old lady and gentleman's hands are two separate pieces.

Please help if you can, and let me know about the cane as well while you are at it

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 14th October 2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Image rotation
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote