View Single Post
Old 6th March 2019, 05:36 PM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very good points Ariel, one on the matter of methodology in finding support for theories, however I think we all have different ideas and concepts in how we go about it. I know that my own methods don't necessarily coincide with those of others nor follow any precise empirical dictum faithfully.

Well noted as well in that this filigree (beaded) decoration does not need to be firmly associated with any particular Vedic belief or tradition, and may have developed independently within the Indian subcontinent. To determine whether its development was of Indian origin rather than outside influences, finding exemplars pre European contact would be compelling.

However, using this concept may not offer evidence toward conclusion as outside factors such as the 'wild card' of the ever present and often ambiguous element of trade, whether direct or networked, might have influenced such design.

I think this is why Nihl was searching through early architecture, particularly temples and other iconography to discover such pre European presence.

As Bob has well noted, fashion was I think a key factor also, and while this type of decoration is indeed very simple, it is distinct enough to be placed with design in mind and more so than casually. In the manner of how influenced and impressed the Indians were by European arts, that does elevate this design to a status oriented styling.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote