View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:03 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

This is respectable old keris, and it would not be out of place in any collection.

You have been given a classification of Tuban.

It is very difficult in most cases to affix a classification to a keris from photographs. This one could possibly be Tuban, most likely Tuban-Mataram, indicated by the way in which the ganja widens as it moves to the thinner side of the blade. (the ganja is the separate, mechanically fixed piece of steel at the base of the blade).

Determination of classification depends upon weight of evidence provided by a number of indicators. One of those indicators which is very important is the shape of the top of the ganja.

Would it be possible to provide a photograph looking straight down onto the base of the blade, as in the example I have posted?

Blade classification , or tangguh, is only an opinion, and it is an opinion that can alter according to the school of study with which one is associated. It can give an indication of blade age, but except in a few very limited contexts, it cannot give a true blade age.

The pattern on the surface of the blade is what we call "pamor".
The pamor in this blade appears to be the most usually encountered one, "wos wutah" (scattered rice grains). It is a random pattern, that is, essentially uncontrolled by the smith, and as such no other will be precisely the same.

To read this pamor well, the blade needs to be stained; much will be found in this site that deals with blade staining.

Regarding the scabbard, or wrongko ( wrangka, warangka).

I would not replace this.

The large chip that is visible in the photos can be easily repaired, and the smaller chips around the edges can be cleaned up a little. If the piece of wood used for the repair were to be carefully chosen so that it had a tight grain and was very dark, perhaps even stained black, when this scabbard was repolished, nothing would look out of place, and the original dress would be retained, which in a case such as this is always a plus.

My approach could vary with a more valuable blade, but with a good, honest utilitarian blade such as this one is, I'd do my best to keep it all original.
Bear this in mind:- the attitude of collectors in the western world varies very considerably to that of collectors within Indonesia. Most Indonesian collectors would regard this wrongko as not much more than junk, and replace it with the finest new one they could afford, however, many western collectors do not like this approach, and prefer to repair, restore and retain an old wrongko, if this is possible. My approach falls between the two. For a fine blade I prefer to replace a damaged wrongko; for an average or middle of the road blade I prefer to repair the old wrongko if this is possible.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote