View Single Post
Old 26th December 2018, 10:57 PM   #1
G. Mansfield

Default Lion Attacking a Dromedary -1867

Through gaining a museum studies minor at the University of Pittsburgh, I was working within the Carnegie Museum of Natural History quite often for class research. One of their most popular exhibits is the diorama of "Lion Attacking a Dromedary" (1867) displaying European 19th century Orientalism stereotypes to exotify North Africa in dramatic scenes.
This particular diorama is an imaginary story Edouard Verreaux created to elaborate about "a courier traveling through the North African desert carrying letters and other precious items from one village to the next. Suddenly, two fierce lions appear and charge at him. The courier draws his musket and kills one of the lions, but it is knocked from his hand. He unsheathes his dagger as another lion leaps to attack his camel..."

The rifle laying on the lioness appears to be a Moroccan snaphaunce while the dagger is a flyssa type weapon with an up-curving blade containing simple brass inlays and patterns. The hilt is brass covered over wood without the common animal head pommel. In my personal collection, I have a very similar knife. I always assumed that it was of a later manufacture (early 20th) than the more common typical flyssa that had a higher quality of workmanship. This diorama was created in 1867 in France and is stated to be original. So, this places the thought into question that these flyssa-like variants (up-curving) must be of older origin rather than later? Thoughts, comments, and opinions appreciated.
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote