View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:24 PM   #11
russel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
After reading the above, I realise just how lucky we are here in New Zealand, regarding importing of swords and knives/daggers. There is (at present) no restriction on importing of old/antique swords or knives provided of course they do not fall into the category of "offensive" weapons eg.flick knives/butterfly/gravity knives etc.or are a "hidden weapon" such as a sword stick We do not have to PROVE age of item either.
Old/antique daggers (double edged knives), and OLD swordsticks etc., can be imported provided the correct permit is obtained AND you are known to Police (who handle the application), as a "bonefide" collector. If you DO fall into this category, the premit application is generally just a matter of course.
Long may this situation remain, and we all hope that the "nanny state" does not try to be silly if it comes to new laws.
This is a very similar situation to the regulations in Australia: no permit required for swords or single edged knives. A police issued permit is required to import daggers (double edged). Some items are prohibited (such as flick-knives, balisong and concealed weapons). The only truly unfortunate prohibition we have is "knives with transverse handles" ie.punch-daggers, which means I can only obtain Katars from within Australia (needless to say, I only have two. The are very uncommon items in Australia.

We also have a rather fortunate situation with import fees, items under $1000 attract no import duties!
russel is offline   Reply With Quote