Thread: my last keris
View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2023, 06:19 AM   #110
A. G. Maisey

Yes, that is the reference I mentioned.

I actually had the original of that in my possession for a few days back in the 1980's, it was offered to me but I could not afford the price tag, I photographed all the pages though. A very big hand drawn book. I had those photos printed professionally as large hardcopy photos, these are what I used to use before the commercial blue cover ripoff became available.

The book I use now is the blue cover one that you mention.

We are both using the same reference, and that reference shows a Cundrik Pandowo as picture #85.

Now, if we look at picture #27 what we see is a Cengkrong, on the Cengkrong, the hilt has been reversed, next to the Cengkrong at pic #28 we have Cundrik, and the hilt on that has been reversed also.

On all three blades, the hilts have been reversed, ie, the batuk of the jejeran sits above the buntut urang of the gonjo, it does not sit above the sirah cecak of the gonjo as is the case in a normal mounting of the jejeran. Of course, the Cundrik Pandowo does not have a gonjo, so in this case the batuk sits above the wadidang, which in a normal keris is directly below the buntut urang.

It is the hilt that is reversed, nothing else.

Neither the Cengkrong nor the Cundrik keris form has a pipe back, however, the Dhuwung form does have a pipe back, see picture #30.

Marco's keris has a blade back that is compatible with the dhuwung classification, not with Cengkrong & not with Cundrik.

In accordance with the guidance of this reference that we are both using, Marco's keris is a Dhuwung classification, not Cundrik, not Cengkrong.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote