View Single Post
Old 16th March 2022, 10:31 PM   #15
A. G. Maisey

There is more than a single way to understand the keris.

If one way is different to another way, this does not necessarily mean that one way is wrong & the other way is right. It becomes a matter of perspective.

However, not all perspectives necessarily have the same value, just as all opinions do not have the same value. For example, if I have a blocked drain, I call a plumber, I do not call my motor mechanic.

SJ, your remarks on the relative importance of the dress of the keris reflect a perspective that has become quite popular in relatively recent times. I have noted that it is particularly popular with keris interested people --- and philosophers (most Javanese people are philosophers, whether they realise it or not) --- in the Ngayoga area.

The thought process goes like this:-

the keris, ie, the wilah, is inarguably masculine, its primary iconic relationship is Gunungan, which then leads to Meru, Mount Meru, Mount Kailash, Siwa, Gods, ancestors

the wrongko is female in nature

together the keris and the wrongko represent the unity of humanity > society > the world > the cosmos

this resonates with the Hindu idea that no man is complete without a woman, no woman is complete without a man, this unity of male & female is the foundation of society, the foundation of universal harmony and the foundation of creation & life

this idea is encapsulated in the Javanese pepatah:-

Curiga manjing warangka, warangka manjing curiga :-

broadly:- "the wrongko completes the keris, the keris completes the wrongko"

this little saying is dragged out at every wedding celebration, and in many situations where mutual cooperation completes a relationship.

When we understand more of the way in which Sufism has shaped Javanese society we begin to understand more of the way in which these ideas have blended with Javanese indigenous ideas, and the ideas that have come from the old Jawa Hindu-Buddhist traditions.

One thing that Islam seems not to have been able to harmonise away is the role of the hilt as guardian. But they did attend to this little problem very neatly by introducing the planar form, during the Demak era, and representing the remnant demonic features as leaves:- patra = leaf.

EDIT

It has been suggested to me that I should refrain from delicacy and provide a literal translation of the little Javanese quote, rather than a broad translation.

Accordingly, here is the exact translation of the quote:-

"Keris enter wrongko, wrongko enter keris"

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 17th March 2022 at 11:37 AM. Reason: accuracy
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote