View Single Post
Old 28th June 2009, 07:50 AM   #38
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Ausjulius,
Very well thought out assessment of the conditions of warfare experienced in America's frontiers in early colonial times into the movements toward the west.
I am certainly no authority on Native American warfare, but it seems to be that this was a magnificently complex culture, and warfare was inevitable between tribes for numerous reasons. The regimentation of European military and American settlers were incredibly restrictive in trying to combat what was essentially guerilla warfare. There was clearly adaption of strategy and use of weaponry taken by both sides as conflicts continued.

I'm not sure that the use of armour by Indians was likely, with the instance earlier noted an exception, and possibly other singular cases. Mostly I am interested in the use by gunfighters or others in the western frontiers.
You are right, the much dramatized and embellished tales of blazing gunfights being the norm, or fighting off bands of attacking warriors are mostly just that. While there are cases of certain individuals who apparantly knew they were constantly at threat of violence, who may have used some kind of protection such as bullet proof vests, the cases seem to have been rare.

The unfortunate reference I included concerning the Romanov event I think should be dropped, the point was concerning bulletproof vests, and used only in a comparitive analogy. As I have noted, I regret including it as clearly the point of reference was lost in adverse reactions. My apologies to anyone who misunderstood my intent and for having used this tragic reference.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote