View Single Post
Old 6th June 2013, 01:25 AM   #6
Timo Nieminen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
Hmm, so would the tassels be a newer Qing dynasty innovation?
I wouldn't rule that out... I mean, Chinese cold weaponry did not stop developing in the Qing, in fact I think there were interesting shifts, such as the big popularity of double blades (double jian, double dao, butterfly swords), the innovation of the ox-tail saber, and the widespread use of the da-dao as an official weapon, symbol of Chinese nationalism, and a symbol of the older days of the Ming dynasty, etc.
I think some of these changes were a result of civilianisation of weapons. The military weapons were cannon for artillery, spear and musket for infantry, and bow and sword for cavalry. The military solution to a spear is another spear, or arrow or bullet.

What is the civilian solution to a spear? Either carry your own spear, but that isn't convenient. So carry a double weapon. Double dao is much better against a spear than a single dao. Much easier to carry than a spear. So a good civilian solution, given the knowledge of how to use it, and hopefully one doesn't run into a skilled spearman.

The oxtail dao is optimised for slicing unarmoured opponents. Good for the civilian martial artist. In principle, it might have made for a nice light cavalry sword, but was not adopted as such.

I don't know if or how dadao fit into this.

Increased dependence on militia blurs the lines between civilian and military, and contributed to this civilianisation of arms.
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote