View Single Post
Old 12th March 2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I've decided to share a PDF presentation with our forum members entitled "The Takouba Form - With a Focus on Range and Distribution".

This combines many of the areas I have been studying with regards to takouba. I am making this available for our members, who's discussions and inputs on the various takouba threads in the last year have been invaluable. It is not a final work and includes images and maps cobbled together from various sources.

http://takouba.org/the_takouba_form_...stribution.pdf

All the best,

Iain

Salaams Iain ~ I have really enjoyed going over your fine work which is brilliantly presented and shines a beam of light on the mysteries of your chosen subject ... It was a great pleasure reading through the entire thesis and thank you for allowing it to be read even though you consider it not complete it was an inspiring document. May I make a small comment on one aspect which I may suggest is worth reviewing and that is the relationship with the Old Omani Battle Sword which I think may be an unrelated linkage. Rather like the links in a cycle chain I find this one an extra link that isn't (may not be) actually there but without it, the chain is simply tighter...In my view the Omani Battle Sword "Sayf Yamaani" is linked directly to the Abbassiid design, after which, it froze in Oman and until relatively speaking; today. The form was not exported and did not, I suggest, influence African weapons. It was held within a very tight Omani Ibathi grouping and though there is a sect link to a small part of North Africa I am not certain it extended to there. That is not to say that Abbasiid weaponry may not be responsible from an influential standpoint but simply to say that the link to the Omani Short Battle Sword is, to me at least, not in the equation. What I do see is a parallel looking development in a tribal sword although unconnected and unrelated as often happened. I think the time frame on the Omani weapon is worth noting in that regard having been designed around the 751ad date point.
This in no way detracts from what is a splendid document and I reinforce my appreciation of how well you have tackled the difficult subject. Thank you.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Note; I have read your treatise several times and note in fact that though you do have a plate with two Omani Battle Swords there is not yet an actual conclusion on the influence though I wonder if that was the case...or that it was part of the thesis still under consideration?

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 12th March 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote