View Single Post
Old 15th February 2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Mauro

Thanks Jim, for your comments. I do not know other examples of this kind of design except that reported in Briggs and I would be happy to read the paper of Henri Lhote. Could you provide me the reference. I am also curious to see if they are associated with this kind of blades or with other types. Most probably you are right on this blade and it is a native blade with a copied design but I am surprised from the high quality of the details. I also ask if the triple fullered blade, although so common in kaskaras, could not come from Europe. I had a look to the book of Boccia & Coelho "Italian white arms" and I found that a triple fuller is found also in quite old blades. I add the scanned copy of three of them. Fig.272 an horseman sword from 1500. Fig. 298, an horseman sword from 1509, is again a triple fullered blade much closer to my takouba blade. Fig.497, a Schiavona 1620-1630, has also 3 fullers. Probably these type of kaskara blades have been already discussed in the forum but thanks again for your comments

All the best,
Jim
Attached Images

Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote