Thread: Persian KILIJ
View Single Post
Old 27th December 2021, 06:50 PM   #8
Tea

Thanks for the replies,
Now I have the blade in my possession I can post a few more detailed pictures. Maybe those will help to determine it's true origin.

a few points I'd like to make:
The handle:
there is indeed little doubt that the handle was remade.

the blade:
- can someone translate the inscriptions?
- the first third back end of the blade (the straight part) was originallaly decorated with koftgari only a few remnants of gold remain as wel as a 3D flower. This was probably intended to show of some koftgari even while the saber was fitted inside the scabbard.
The design was probably very similar to what can be seen near the yelman with the same 3D flower mirrored (but with gold inlay still present)

the scabbard and the crossguard:
- a few remnants of koftgari gold inlay are still present on the eyelets. All eyelets seem to be decorated similarly on both sides I took a picture of the best preserved side and tried to draw what I can make of the few remnants thar are still visible.
- It seems that the leather is interupted at each eyelet
so we have bottom piece of leather at the chape/eyelet/other piece of leather in between/eyelet/piece of leather near the throat (without stitching)
- I see no traces of an old piece of metal chape on the bottom piece of leather. (no visible difference of aging)
- the throat of the scabbard seems to be decorated with gold covered parchment?

It's not very clear to me whether the top part of the scabbard was redone or whether some metal fittings are missing. What's certain however is that the leather at the top, near the throat of the scabbard is not in the same state as the rest of scabbard. either because it aged differently (covered at some point? / glued istead of stitched) or because it was remade. What are you opinions about this?
Attached Images

Tea is offline   Reply With Quote