View Single Post
Old 11th March 2021, 10:46 PM   #59
DStirk

Default Paired crescent Scottish broadsword blade

Apologies in advance for resurrecting an old thread that may have been resolved elsewhere. I have been researching markings on a collection of Scottish basket-hilted swords that were damaged in a house fire. They belong to my stepfather and I am in the process of stabilizing and conserving them as best I can. This is my first post on the forum, and I hope it is of interest to some here.

One sword in particular is relevant to this thread, as it has the triple fuller/ paired stylized crescent moons, and partial tang features of many Kaskara blades, yet was incorporated into a probable basket-hilt type. I say probable, because the basket hilt was lost in the fire. I am intrigued by the short tang, as this seems like a structural weakness and probable liability when paired with a basket-hilt. Perhaps it was ceremonial, and not intended to be used in anger.

I am also curious about whether the blade was European and intended for African sale, but ended up in Scotland, or whether it could conceivably have ended up in Scotland via Africa. From this thread I have learned that the paired moons on the blade are more likely to be African than European.

Anyway, here are some photos. In the meantime I will ask my stepdad what he knows of the provenance of the blade, and whether he has any pre-fire photos of it with the hilt.

Cheers,
Duncan[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Attached Images

DStirk is offline   Reply With Quote