View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2016, 06:02 AM   #45
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lander
Are there other examples of Indo-Persian tulwar blades with non-spurious moons on them? I was under the impression that most European blades circulating in that area were British. I just have a hard time understanding what this souvenir maker was trying to accomplish when he went out of his way to add these marks to the blade.
It is hard to imagine what the creator of this blade was trying to add with these clearly 'artistic' interpretations of the astral symbols often seen on European blades (usually Solingen) as noted in the discussion linked (5/16).
It is hard to determine just which exact region this sword might be from as it is something contrived using a regular Indo-Persian tulwar hilt (widely dispersed through mostly northern regions) but others in degree.

While there were many British blades, typically sabre blades especially M1796 occurring in tulwars, most of the 'firangi' blades southward were German and of backsword type with many broadswords on patas.

It does not seem crescent moons were typically used in the Indian repertoire and these appear to just simulate European marks as they were often seen as imbuements of power etc. or such interpretations.

Just my thoughts from what I have noted, but others more experienced in these weapons might add more.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote