View Single Post
Old 15th November 2015, 09:05 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Here is a lift from my "Interpretation" paper

"There seems to be some evidence that the Singo Barong, a representation of a lion, was a symbol associated with high ranking Ksatriya nobles. This is indicated by the sarcophagi which were the prerogative of high ranking nobles, members of the Ksatriya Caste, in olden times in Bali. These nobles had the right to a sarcophagus in the form of a winged lion (27).

The Singo Barong is not winged, but in Hindu tradition, the lion is associated with the warrior caste.

Possibly the wings on a sarcophagus lion were added because of the implication of the spirit of the deceased flying upwards from the cremation."

This is the most probable explanation in my opinion, but if the source for the Singo Barong was the Chinese Fu Dog (Shi, pinyin = lion) then we are looking at a powerful guardian symbol.

In Jawa some people call the Singo Barong "kikik", which is a little dog with long hair; others call it "Naga Singo Barong". Both these terms are typical Javanese substitutions. Singo Barong is correct usage.

The top keris with lion that actually looks like a lion is a blade alteration directed at the collector market, probably a long time ago.

The other couple of singo barongs are correct form, but whether additions to an already finished blade, or original to the blade, I cannot tell from these photos.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote