View Single Post
Old 7th August 2007, 09:53 AM   #7
VVV

Great Kampilan!

I think this is another example of the older style, maybe pre-mid 19th C, of kampilan before the later, large "crocodile jaw" became more popular.
It seems as those were extinct already during the Spanish American war which probaby is the reason why they seldom are seen in US collections.
The talismanic (?) hairy "hang-on" are also sometimes found on those kampilan (example below).
Another even more rare style is the horse head hilt. Examples of those are found on the pictures in Cato p. 53 and van Z p. 93.
My understanding is that the kampilan is a tribal (Illanun tribe), not a geographical weapon. This nomadic sailing tribe is found in Mindanao as well as Sabah (Borneo), Sulawesi and Timor.
Among people who has emigrated from their original culture old style and habits lasts longer.
An example is my mother who left Denmark in the late 50's. A Danish friend of mine was excited after talking with her because even if she of course spoke perfect Danish it was like "watching an old movie". Her Danish hadn't changed since the 50's and she had no new expressions from the last 50 years as well as some expressions and words that nowadays no modern Dane would use.
But of course it's still Danish as your kampilan still is Illanun...

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote