Thread: Moro Kris
View Single Post
Old 28th June 2011, 04:29 PM   #33
Spunjer

Sadly, the new york times clip with the illustration of the sultan and the captain smiling as he was handing the kalis to him didn't come with it
But seriously, i have seen and held this particular kalis a month prior to acquiring it, even took some pics so i could take a good look at it. As far as the previous owner: he has been collecting since the early 60's. This particular piece has been with him for a long time. The gunong was an example to show you that a presentation piece need not to be a gold encrusted, junggayan ivory and other superlative type weapon, but rather it could just be something that we expect ti be of lesser quality. There's a b&w photo circulating in the 'net of three swords( i remembered one was an average barung) that was given by the same sultan to a reporter.
The probability of the hilt being exchanged sometimes after it was presented is possible, but the chance of whoever did that (for the sake of argument, say sometimes before the 70's) and exchanged it with a datu class pommel that is exclusively a Sulu Sultanate style is: a) he knew what the heck he was doing, or b) or one heck of a lucky guess. If we go by choice a), for what reason would he exchange it? I might not know much about moro weapons as much as you do, my friend, but i'm pretty confident that i think i know what i'm looking at, and i would like to think i'm wise enough to know what i'm getting into. As far as the asang-asang, it moved because as i have mentioned to rick, the clip was loose. Now, let me ask your expert opinion on this: is the asang-asang suppose to be air tight to the point where it's immovable on these type of kalis? You're really starting to worry me about being gyped into buying a supposedly an excellent provenanced and one of a kind piece....
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote