View Single Post
Old 8th March 2020, 01:40 AM   #34
apolaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagabuwana
Yes, apply the mineral oil after you have done the WD40 treatments, and once it has completely dried.

Historically, the keris is an object that is dressed and anointed because it was more than just a merely decorative or utilitarian object. Yes the oil does protect it from corrosion but the primary reason for doing so might have been to further beautify and make it elegant to the senses. In the milieu of where the keris originated, it was and is appropriate and encouraged to do so. It is becoming of the blade.

Whether you choose to pay attention to this and go down this road is up to you. Mineral oil on its own (after a WD40 treatments have dried) will do a decent job to protect the blade and you can choose to leave it at that. But I do feel that this blade is quite nice and it would be a shame if it was not wangi (fragrant/perfumed).

I personally would not use any oils that have been mixed with other stuff.

I like to use 50% mineral oil, with 50% sandalwood essential oil. I got my stuff off eBay and it was relatively inexpensive compared to the stuff you can buy off the shelves at hippy shops. To my knowledge, sandalwood is the only scent that is most commonly used in keris oils while also being widely available outside of Indonesia/Java.

Patchouli isn't a scent that I'm familiar with in the context of keris.
I just applied Mineral oil to my keris after a period of letting WD40 set in the keris.

I just noticed that while it says 100% mineral oil, it also says infused with Vitamin E. The mineral oil is very thick.

Did I purchase the wrong type of mineral oil? How does Vitamin E effect the metal.

I am wondering, should just the excel oil into the blade to penetrate into the metal with a cloth until it is dry?
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote