View Single Post
Old 4th February 2019, 02:59 PM   #30
rand

Default Follow the wootz pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Hi Rand,
Nice to hear from you:-).
The layer of gold is quite thick, but I am not sure I understand what you mean when you write, 'it seems to follow the wootz pattern'.
Catalogue pp. 145-146.
The other one is catalogue pp. 331-333.
Hey Jens,

When you look at the wootz pattern of the blade, you see dark and light (black & silver) colors and lines. The black lines being similar to the cartography of a map showing the different levels of elevation. On the golden umbrella, you can also see darker lines that are mostly vertical. On the top right of the umbrella, there are some that are at and angle. Compare the dark lines of the blade to the dark lines of the umbrella. What is most obvious is the slanting top right lines that lines up perfectly on the gold and steel areas.

The camera collects data, that is light reflecting off the surface of the katars blade. My theory: In this example, there are slight variences in the wootz surface height from etching. And that when reflected off the gold surface, then give darker and lighter shades of gold, because of varying angled degrees of light bouncing back to the camera .

If this is true, it adds another dimension to wootz steel. This is where an opinion from a metallurgist that has study'd wootz would help.

"The human brain starts working the moment you are born and never stops until you stand up to speak in public."

George Jessel

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote