View Single Post
Old 4th August 2018, 10:51 AM   #1
RobertGuy

Default Eastern European Kinjal Dagger

Looking for comments and information about this recent purchase.
Catalogue description:
Eastern European Kindjal Dagger, 7 1/2 inch double edged wide blade. Two central fullers. Horn and bone polished slab side grips with brass floral headed rivetsto the face. Contained in its brown leather European made scabbard with rear belt loop.

My stats:
Weight 8oz (0.22kg)
Length overall: 11.25'' (28.5cm) Blade: 7.5'' (19cm)
Profile taper: 1.36'' (34.7mm) at ricasso , 1.20'' (30.4mm)at mid blade, 0.85'' (21.7mm) 2'' from tip.
Distal taper 0.18'' (4.7mm) at ricasso, 0.15'' (3.9mm)at mid blade,. 0.13'' (3.5mm) 2'' from tip.

I don't think this dagger has any great age, the sheath is definitely machine sewn but is obviously made to fit this dagger. The overall quality seems good, not like many tourist pieces. What it puts me in mind of, strangely enough, is the sort of knife you would find in a top end US or Canadian spots shop for sale to Boy Scouts. Totally different style of course but similar quality and feel. The blade is sharp, solid and of good weight. All info and comments gratefully received. I am particularly interested in likely origin, age and the significance of the bi-material handle.
Attached Images

RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote