View Single Post
Old 7th May 2017, 01:55 AM   #10
Philip

Default stamped marks on tempered blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster
I usually defer to Iain's superior knowledge and experience, but the blade doesn't necessarily look to me like a factory forged piece as would have been made in Solingen. It looks to be pretty (too?) thick for a few inches near the guard, but does appear to taper toward the tip. Is the blade stiff or flexible?
Also, the maker's marks and inscriptions are deep and don't appear to made into a hardened surface. Could the blade be made of a softer steel closer to wrought iron and produced outside a factory setting? Please correct me if my ignorance is showing.

Regards,
Ed
Ed, I too was wondering if this blade could in fact be pre-Industrial Revolution, an older handforged one. After all, the Solingen blade industry does go a long way back.

As to stamped makers marks, my experience with earlier blades (late medieval through 17th cent. has shown that:
1. Blades were not quenched all the way back to the hilt. The forte (around the ricasso) was intentionally left softer but more resilient to avoid brittleness in an area that absorbs shock from parrying, and which has a natural stress point, i.e. the junction between the tang and the shoulders of the blade. After all, this part of a blade was of no use for cutting so the ability of its edges to stay sharp was not an issue.
2. Contrary to the common misconception that only Eastern blades were differentially hardened (at the edges, with a softer back), I note from observation that European smiths were well aware of the concept as well and it is apparent on quite a bit of their output, revealed by color differences produced by etchants and verified by physical hardness tests.

I have several rapiers and broadswords in my own collection which have deep stamps near midline at the lower fortes of their blades.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote