View Single Post
Old 24th January 2014, 05:23 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Two Interesting Moroccan Koummya Daggers

I am glad to see Moroccan koummya daggers back as a focus of interest. I will add these two interesting examples to our archives.

Based on quality I am not sure the two examples belong on the same thread, but I purchased them both recently and will include them together here.

The silver example is 18.5in. long and has a 10in. long quality blade that is finely fullered and features a combination or numbers and letters stamped on one side. I imagine this is a European made blade...French??? Spanish???

Notice on this one that while the artwork is basic and rudimentary, its dimensions are more elongated and elegant than the norm. The scabbard and blade are more narrow than usual. The hilt is also narrow, but more typical, and it accentuates the elegant style.

The gold example is actually a scabbard made of gilded silver alloy in a detailed floral motif. This is a much earlier example being at least 100 years old and perhaps older. The blade here is the rarer "claw" style with a well defined fuller. The hilt is rhino horn mounted en suite. It is 15in. long with a 8in. blade and is 3inches across at the pommel.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 24th January 2014 at 06:45 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote