Thread: Enigma
View Single Post
Old 29th April 2019, 11:23 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Kubur, while you are a seasoned collector and arms scholar, I know you initiated this thread concerning the Passau wolf as a kind of exercise, so if I may elaborate a bit further for the benefit of readers on this topic.

I have attached the panel of exemplars of variations of the 'running wolf' which was used both in Passau as well as more extensively in Solingen. It is believed its use began in Passau as a knifemakers mark in about 14th c. This plate of examples is from Wagner, "Cut and Thrust Weapons" Prague, 1967, p.109).
It appears that the plate originates in 'Zeitschrift fur Historiche Waffenkunde" Vol. III, p.312.

As I noted earlier, I do not personally believe these date classifications signify any reliable chronology of development, but more examples drawn from blades of these date periods.

In Wagner (p.107) he notes that Solingen maker Iohannes Wundes (1560-1620) used the Passau wolf on consignments for Passau merchants supplying the Passau mercenaries of Archduke Leopold V.
Passau was a key center for the assembly of mercenary soldiers and as such, was also a center for armourers who furnished weaponry and war goods for these forces. It appears that Solingen makers began to use the mark more broadly as it became associated with one of the standard 'quality' markings.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote