View Single Post
Old 30th July 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
R_p_doyle

Vandoo and Steve,

Thanks a million for the insight. I'm fascinated by the culture and history of the East African coast... especially the islands like Lamu and Zanzibar. I'd love to find out where this piece and a another I have fits into history.

Vandoo - when you say that it is probably of considerable age, do you think the owner's estimate of "100 years old" was a good ballpark estimate?

Steve - If it is over 100 years old it probably dates from Ottoman times, right? Is that who was in control of the Jizan/Asir area on the Arabian peninsula at that time? I'd also love to know if the hexagrams have a Jewish or Islamic meaning... I guess I'm going to have to find someone who reads Arabic for that.

I've also attached photos of another dagger I acquired in Zanzibar on this trip. I don't think it's as special as the silver one, but it certainly looks pretty... I know that the handle and sheath are made of solid amber (which is in good condition relative to others I saw there) and silver with lapis lazuli and coral inlays.

Any more insight can give on either of these pieces will be very much appreciated.

Thanks again Steve and Vandoo.
Attached Images