Thread: New Katar
View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I thought I would pick up a few books and do some reading on 'katars'.
While it seems clear that the question here had nothing to do with the character on this katar itself, I thought perhaps others reading this thread (observe number of views) might want to know more.

The style overall seems to be in keeping with katars from Rajasthan production and as always they were remarkably similar over centuries. The center rib in the blade and overall profile concur with this and much the same profile is seen on other daggers such as khapwah and chilanum as well. Interestingly the engraved flower (lily?) like feature at the forte resembles the double crescent style of many chilanum, 17th c. and beyond.

Katars of this style, admittedly simple but subtly distinct are seen Egerton (#383; #508) and these are suggested being from Maharapore and Gwalior, which was a pricely state south of Agra ruled by the Sindhias. These were a Maratha clan who also had considerable Rajput connections.
The device at the top of the blade is also seen on katars from Jaipur and Alwar, in Rajasthan. Clearly this does not suggest this simple katar design is from this provenance, but that they were apparantly present there in this instance.

While none of these clues or comparisons can be considered conclusive or definitive due to the long use of traditional styles as well as wide diffusion of products dispersed through trade or diplomatic circumstances, it still gives an idea of the kinds of nuances these weapons often hold for study.

I would note the wavy blade edges reveal potential age in the apparant sharpening over years. The engraved device reflecting the forementioned elements on earlier hilts suggests possible traditional recollection of these weapons, or of course simply aesthetic decoration, one often wonders.

Most important are the curious pierced connecting bars connecting the transverse bars of the grip. These appear to have small apertures in them...could these be just decoration, or there to attach auspicious items in ceremonial or festive sense as in many cases seen with various swords such as the khanda.

I just thought I would add some observations and thoughts to illustrate the adventure often found in studying these weapons. While of course these can only be considered highly speculative, I present them as always in hopes that others will join in and present thier views, for or against my comments, and a discussion will develop. It is how we all learn.

"Indian & Oriental Arms and Armour" Lord Egerton, 1880
"Indian Arms and Armour" Dr. G.N.Pant, New Delhi, 1980
"Hindu Arms and Ritual" Dr. Robert Elgood, London, 2004
"Arms and Armour: Traditional Weapons of India" , E.Jaiwent Paul, 2005
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote