View Single Post
Old 14th February 2009, 11:32 AM   #16
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Lorenz,
Its great to have you come in on this with us, and we have agreed, this does seem to be developing into just the intriguing discussion I hoped it would be. I'm glad you added the Calvert reference, as this has stood for some time as one of the few references to Spanish arms in English. Your mention of the dearth of reference to Tizona and Colada is something I also have thought extremely unusual in looking through this work, which is intended to focus on the importance of this collection and Spanish arms in general ...
Hi Jim,

Yes indeed, a very interesting topic to say the least!

While Googling for colada and tizona, I found this Wikipedia article on the List of magical weapons, which is mainly about swords. Here's an excerpt, and I highlighted the subject swords for easier browsing:

In folklore

Sword Kladenets – a fabulous magic sword in some Old Russian fairy tales.

Green Dragon Crescent Blade – Exceptionally heavy guandao wielded by Guan Yu in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms; forged from the body of a dragon.

Dyrnwyn – Sword of Rhydderch Hael in Welsh legend; When drawn, it blazed with fire; if drawn by a worthy man, the fire would help him in his cause, but its fire would burn the man who drew it for an unworthy purpose.

Hrunting and Nægling – Beowulf's magical swords.

Shamshir-e Zomorrodnegar – Legendary Persian sword.

Skofnung – sword of legendary Danish king Hrólf Kraki.

Thunderbolt – as wielded by various mythological deities such as Zeus.

Vajra – A composite weapon made from the bones of a willing sage used by Indra.

Zulfiqar – a sword gifted from God to Imam Ali

Taming Sari - a keris owned by mythical Malay warrior Hang Tuah. It possesses supernatural powers, bestowing invincibility to its wielder. According to one story, Hang Tuah fought the Majapahit warrior who owned the keris to a standstill, unable to defeat him. Later, after using trickery to switch weapons, Hang Tuah won easily.

Norse mythology

Gram – Sword of the hero Sigurd from Norse mythology, also known as Nothung in the Ring cycle

Gungnir – Odin's spear.

Hrotti – Part of the treasure of the dragon Fafnir.

Lævateinn – A weapon mentioned in Fjölsvinnsmál.

Mjolnir – The hammer of Thor.

Tyrfing – A sword made by dwarves in the Elder Edda.

Irish mythology

Fragarach – Sword of the god of the seas Manannan mac Lir and later Lugh in Irish legend; it was said to be a weapon that no armour could stop.

Caladbolg – Two-handed sword of Fergus mac Róich in Irish legend; said to make a circle like an arc of rainbow when swung, and to have the power to cleave the tops from the hills.

Claíomh Solais – Sword of Nuada the king of the gods in Irish mythology; In legend, the sword glowed with the light of the sun and was irresistible in battle, having the power to cut his enemies in half.

Gáe Bulg – Spear of Cúchulainn; made from the bones of a sea monster.

Spear of Lugh – Spear of Lugh, the champion of the gods in Irish Mythology.

Arthurian legend

Excalibur – King Arthur's magical war sword.

Clarent – King Arthur's sword of peace. Also sometimes known as Mordred's sword that he used to kill King Arthur

Cernwennan - King Arthur's dagger

Rhongomiant - King Arthur's Spear

The Song of Roland

Almace – The sword of Archbishop Turpin.

Durendal – Indestructible sword of Roland.

Hauteclere – The sword of Oliver.

Joyeuse – Charlemagne's personal sword.

Japanese folklore

Ame-no-nuboko – Japanese halberd which formed the first island.

Kusanagi – Legendary Japanese sword.

Tonbogiri – one of three legendary spears created by the famed swordsmith Masazane.

Spanish folklore

Tizona - the sword of El Cid, it frightens unworthy opponents, as shown in the heroic poem Cantar de Mio Cid.

Colada - the other sword of El Cid, as Tizona its power depends on the warrior that wields it.

The lance of Olyndicus, the celtiberians' war chief who fought against Rome. According to Florus, he wielded a silver lance that was sent to him by the gods from the sky.

In novels

Mournblade - An enchanted blade from Michael Moorcocks stories.

Nehima – Lirael and Abhorsen by Garth Nix.

Stormbringer – Vampiric demon blade in Michael Moorcocks stories.

Sword of Martin – weapon from the Redwall series of novels by Brian Jacques.

The Sword of Truth - The sword wielded by the Seeker of Truth in the Terry Goodkind novels.

The Sword of Shannara - The sword enchanted by the druids to reveal truth in Terry Brooks novels.

Zar'roc and Brisingr Eragon's sword's in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini

Rivenscryr- Sword of Tylar ser Noche in the God Slayer Chronicles by James Clemens, it has the power to slay the gods entirely, killing all aspects of them.

Callandor - The sword that is not a sword, a powerful sa'angreal in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

Soren, a sword in the Tara series by Madden Grimm

Ruyi Jingu Bang - An magical staff wielded by Sun Wukong in Journey to the West

The works of J. R. R. Tolkien

Anglachel – one of the two swords forged by Eöl the Dark Elf out of a black iron meteorite. It is said to be able to cleave any iron from within the earth. Anglachel appears to be a sentient sword that speaks on occasion and has some will of its own.

Glamdring, Orcrist and Sting – High-Elven swords; glow with a blue or white flame when Orcs are near.

Morgul-blade – magical poisoned dagger wielded by Nazgûl.

Caudimordax – this sword cannot be sheathed when a dragon comes within five miles of its bearer's presence.

Andúril/Narsil- the sword of Elendil (Narsil) reforged in Anduril on the return of his true heir, Aragorn- the reforging of the shards of Narsil was foretold as a sign of the coming of the true King of Gondor

Aiglos- the spear with which the Elven king Gil-galad went to war.
I don't know whether it's fair to put the historical colada and tizona in the above quoted list, as most of the blades there are fictitious.

Anyways, I just thought I'd throw in the above list for whatever it's worth!
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote