View Single Post
Old 20th August 2016, 12:38 AM   #1
Jerseyman

Default Pata with single-edged blade

Inspired by Kubur's pata - here is a recent acquisition. A simple steel pata - some small losses to the gauntlet. Still in the condition in which it was received. My suspicion would be that it is of northern indian origin.

What interests me however is that the blade is single-edged. I've probably only held twenty or so of these weapons, so I acknowledge the test sample and my knowledge-base are both small, but I've only ever personally seen double-edged blades on these. Does anyone have any pictures of anything similar to this one shown?

My first thought was that it was a double-fullered, european blade mounted on a local hilt. But closer examination altered my mind - specifically the fullers - if you look closely you'll see that the lower fuller seems to widen out to accommodate the shape of the langet. It almost seems to countersink it on both sides. Which must surely mean that the blade was forged specifically to/for this hilt? In the knowledge that it would have to fit a pata's extended langets. If it is a local blade it is very well made. If it's european-made perhaps it was specifically made as part of an order for patas? Has anyone heard of anything like this? I seem to recollect that Wilkinson made tulwar blades at one point?

There are no identifying marks visible on the blade - perhaps hidden under the langets.

The blade is slightly flexible, a little bounce in its extension. Nicely tempered, bends to at least 30º then springs back.

The sharp edge of course is on the outside for a right-handed grip.

All thoughts welcome.

Dimensions

Full length 49.5” 1255mm
Blade length 36.25” 920mm
Blade width 1.4” 35mm
Spine length 26.25” 665mm
False edge length 10” 255mm
Spine thickness near hilt 6mm
Spine thickness at false edge 2mm
Gauntlet length 13.25” 335mm
Grip bar 4” 102mm
Wrist width 2.75” 70mm
Forearm width 3.75” 95mm
Langet length 7.1” 180mm
Attached Images

Last edited by Jerseyman; 20th August 2016 at 12:48 AM.
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote