View Single Post
Old 26th September 2018, 01:44 AM   #2
M ELEY

Default The French hanger

This nice brass hilted piece (brass also being a favorite among naval officers, as it didn't rust with salty air) has a 'nautical' motiff of sea shells, waves/water, sea weed, etc. Per Annis in 'Swords for Sea Service', he notes that many naval swords had such decoratios when made for naval usage. I understand this isn't proven provenance, but a definite tip of the hat as a possibility. The double fullered spear point double edged blade is still very sharp and has scattered pitting (evidence of salt water corrosion perhaps?)

The most fascinating thing about this hanger is the ring guard. Ring guards seem to have fallen out of favor in the previous century, so is this just for artistic purposes? A bow to honor an earlier and popular form? Someone suggested this might have been a combination weapon, originally possessing a small flintlock pistol barrel mounted through the ring. The problem is, the hole is quite narrow. I tried passing my Queen Ann-style pocket pistol barrel through the space with no success. Your opinions? In any case, a nice hanger I'm happy to own!
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 26th September 2018 at 08:19 PM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote