Thread: SAJEN kerises
View Single Post
Old 1st June 2009, 12:25 AM   #30
A. G. Maisey

Yes Pak Ganja, during that period of the 1930's ---1940's everybody and his brother was spreading the word on Majapahit keris, probably to demonstrate their depth of knowledge of Javanese history and culture, and to drive home the point that they were academic researchers.

This is what happens in all fields. Writers pick up an idea from a previous writer and either appropriate it as their own, or if the previous writer is already well known, they quote him to bolster acceptance of their own writing. Nobody was more well known than Raffles in this matter, so Raffles and keris and Majapahit got a mention, then Gardner's "keris Majapahit" got a mention. In common memory the two meld together, and before you know where you are you have some people thinking that Raffles originated the "keris Majapahit".

However, Gardner was, I believe, the first to mention keris Majapahit, in his 1933 paper --- see my previous post--- the other writers came later, and I believe were riding on Gardner's shirttails --- they had picked up the name from his writing.

Actually, Raffles does not mention "keris Majapahit", he mentions a king of Majapahit who was able to forge keris by the use of finger pressure. He was aware of the kingdom of Majapahit, he had an interest in Javanese history, myth, and legend, but nowhere does he specifically use the term "keris Majapahit" --- well, not as far as I can see, anyway, its a big book.

In fact, the OUP reprint that I have is two big volumes.

Rick, there's not a real lot on keris and weaponry in Raffles. For somebody with a high interest in Jawa, it is interesting reading, but for somebody with a high interest in weaponry its most definitely not particularly useful. I think it currently sells for upwards of $500; I bought my copy new about 35 or 40 years ago. Near as I can recall it cost a bit more than $100.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote