View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:26 AM   #21
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
... CONGRADULATIONS ITS A NICE ITEM

SINCE THE TERM MORO HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP I WILL ASK A QUESTION I HAVE BEEN NEEDING AN ANSWER TO. I AM WRITING A HISTORICAL FICTION STORY WHICH HAS MORO AS WELL AS DAYAK PEOPLE IN IT. I HAVE BEEN WONDERING IF IT WOULD OFFEND ANY GROUP IF I USE THE WORD MORO TO DESCRIBE MY CHARACTERS PEOPLE? IF IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE THEN I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OF A TERM TO USE IN ITS PLACE. OR PERHAPS I SHOULD JUST MAKE UP A FICTIOUS NAME? SEEMS A SHAME THOUGH AS THEY ARE THE HERO'S OF THE STORY. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Hi Vandoo,

Thanks also for your valued opinion. I appreciate it

On the use of the term "Moro" to refer to a person or people, specifically the Muslims in southern Philippines, no it will not be offensive.

I can say that definitively because I just asked a while ago a Muslim college buddy who is now a high-ranking government official in Mindanao. And he would of course be very much aware of the sensitivities of his people.

He categorically said that it is ok to use "Moro" to mean the people or Native Muslims of southern Philippines. Those were his exact words actually.

I also asked him if there is an alternative term that can be used. He didn't give any as "Moro" is fine as is.

So when do we check out Amazon.com for that book?

Regards.

Last edited by migueldiaz; 22nd October 2008 at 11:13 PM.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote