View Single Post
Old 5th March 2020, 06:46 AM   #12
xasterix

Hullo Ian,

The bolo-types, such as those shown in that picture, were definitely obtained by trade with Ilocos Norte. The blunt bolo you were referring to in the picture is not the 'katana' type, but rather closer to the 'talunasan' type, which is made by the smiths of San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte (up to present day). It's different from the 'katana' which is of Apalit, Pampanga manufacture (and which is seemingly extinct, unless I come upon a modern version).

The other bolos in that particular illustration are still made by San Nicolas pandays nowadays.

As for the head-axes, yup those are definitely of Tinguian make, that's why I said most (not all) of their blades =) I haven't had the honor of venturing into their territory yet, and I heard they are very wary of outsiders; thus I have no idea of their smithing capabilities as of present-day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi Xas,

A quick comment on the Tinguian based on the anthropological studies of Fay-Cooper Cole who lived among them in 1907-1908 and later published his work in the U.S. I've written here about his work before. Cole has reproduced in line drawings the knives he observed during that visit, and I showed the relevant figures in my post. It is possible that these were obtained by trade with Ilocos Norte, but one of the blades is of the katana form and I think you have said previously that the Ilocos Norte smiths did not produce this style. As to the ability of Tinguians to produce knives and other edged weapons, the following comment also comes from Cole:

Perhaps current standards have fallen compared with a century ago.

Ian
xasterix is online now   Reply With Quote