View Single Post
Old 19th November 2018, 11:16 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

I reserved comment on the hilt because of one very specific reason:- I am not able to judge just how old, or how genuine this hilt might be from a photo.

One thing that is done with old ivory hilts is that they are re-carved --- ie, the original carving is deepened and "refreshed", then the hilt is artificially patinated. I cannot see the tells for this in a photo.

The far more dangerous falsification is something that has been going on spasmodically for a long time, I mean like more than 30 years, maybe longer, and that is that bone, and occasionally ivory, but mostly bone is very carefully joined to hide the porous ends, and then it is carved in old style to a very high standard and artificially patinated. I've been fooled by both these things when I've had the hilt in my hand, I would not even consider giving an opinion from a photo. I don't get fooled any more, because I've seen a lot of these falsifications now, and I know what to look for, but there is no way I would give an opinion either one way or the other on the basis of a photo.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote