View Single Post
Old 9th March 2012, 06:03 PM   #46
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
However, there are knives in Jawa and Bali that are extremely similar to this knife form, and those Javanese and Balinese knives are work knives, mostly used for working rotan, I believe.Some years ago I knew a tukang wrongko who favoured this style of knife for detail work in the carving of wrongkos.In Bali they are used in the preparation of offerings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
I can't say anything for how people cut food in Indonesia, but I do know that my mother always cuts smaller vegetables with the edge held up and the thumb pushing the veggies onto the edge. I personally think it's a crazy way to work, but unlike me, she's never cut herself using a knife that way. Effectively, it turns her hand into an anvil-style clipper.

If you don't have a clean surface or a cutting board, processing food in hand makes a lot of sense. If someone wants to experiment with cutting veggies with a sirau, I'd suggest cutting celery or something similar, because it doesn't tend to break suddenly, like a carrot, so the edge won't suddenly jerk towards your thumb.
OK, now this makes sense. These do sound like non-combat purposes/ways to use this knife. That's it, I'm going to save up and get one made in Indonesia and test it out myself!
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote