View Single Post
Old 9th March 2012, 07:35 AM   #39
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
And you can't think of any utilitarian purpose for such a blade orientation other than stabbing a human being...
*sigh* ok, I see how it is. Allow me to repeat myself...
"Well, at least for the siraui I have in hand [...] It seems mainly to be a pistol-grip, edge-up stabber."

Utility? Sure, the siraui I have could whittle and shave material when gripped pistol grip edge up with index and thumb pinching the ricasso region. In a conventional grip and the thumb on the spine I can slice and carve with it. I guess another utilitarian function could be stabbing a pig, or cutting a chicken's neck... But it feels most comfortable for stabbing, similar to a badik. I don't know of any pistol-grip utility knife designs...

Please consider...
[1] Most pistol grip knives I've encountered are meant mainly for people-killing. This one also feels that way. I don't personally know a punching-style or pistol grip knife meant primarily for utility.

[2] Also consider that there seems to be 2 forms of this knife. In fact you brought this up earlier in the thread. There's the non-fullered 90 degree choil blade often with a longer and straighter grip and there's the variation with a fuller and gradual choil and a more curved pistol-grip like handle.

[3] Keris-like sheaths. I could be wrong but I feel, with a keris-like sheath, there is a certain status and weapon implication there (though keris were and are not primarily weapons anymore, right?).

[4] Being a smaller blade does not make it a non-weapon. Look at karambits, Chinese daggers, small bichwas & katars, Sgian dubh, etc. Sometimes it is the hidden weapon that is the most dangerous due to surprise and concealability.
That's why I think, based on the considerations and the ergonomics of the siraui right here next to me in my possession, that it feels more fighting oriented. I think my points and my sense of ergonomics are valid.

Yet, you feel that I'm wrong and question my ability to imagine a utility role for it. You seem positive that there is a utility role for this knife. Please explain why... I'm new to the world Sumatran blades and in any case always willing to learn. I got no issue with admitting when I'm wrong, but show me.

What makes you think it is definitely a utility blade first and foremost?
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote