View Single Post
Old 10th October 2007, 08:14 AM   #11
Tomb22

Default Is it unique?

Wow Jim, exciting comments ("If this proved to be pre 1799, which seems quite plausible, the potential for this weapon may be extremely important.") I would humbly ask what does extremely important potential mean to you?

One of the reasons for seeking out more informed comment is that I have spent sometime looking around the internet and have not seen anything similar. The closest has been the 2 Oriental Arms weapons labeled "Cobra Swords" and they had different hilts and non-serrated blades but, there were what I thought in my inexperienced eye remarkable similarities. Here they are:

http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/item.php?id=1908
http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/item.php?id=1941

Now, being inexperienced, and meaning no disrespect, I do not know the quality of the history cited by Oriental Arms for these 2 weapons. But, they both seem very similar relative to what they call the "Indian straght blade bulged at the ricasso." What is a "ricasso?" In my case, from the "bulge" or the "disc" down, the blades seem very much from the same maker and/or design, particularly with the ridge down the center. In the blade that has a scabbard, it indicates a date possibly in the "1795-1804" area. I think that I agree with you concerning the specific "cobra" symbolism but, isn't the "widened disc" being "further down the blade from the hilt," more of a function of the type of hilt itself?

Please, in all of this discussion or responses with any of you, I am not asserting any type of "knowledge" about any of this. I am just sort of thinking out loud and putting out a few thoughts and questions that your comments trigger relative to what limited material that I have seen and read mostly from the internet. Certainly nothing like the superb books and the many years of experiences, you are drawing from.

Also, as previously noted, I have taken the lack of clear pictures demonstrating the various parts and qualities to heart and will have something better sometime this coming week, which hopefully will provide you all with more "accurate" images.

With the observations thus far, it does appear to be somewhat unique? Have any of you seen anything like it before? And, with the "court" or "royal" possibility would that lend credence to uniqueness? Or, was it similar to today where the masses seem to want what the elite have and so there may be many copies or imitators of design and style?

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful and considered opinions.
Tom
Tomb22 is offline   Reply With Quote