Thread: My Java keris
View Single Post
Old 5th October 2016, 10:51 AM   #12
Johan van Zyl

Location: I live in Gordon's Bay, a village in the Western Cape Province in South Africa.

Please see my latest pics, and this one of the ukiran. I have read that the shape of this type of ukiran symbolises a human form, but other sources say it is meant to resemble a god in a squat or stooped position. Discernable with the required imagination is the form's back, the back of the head, the crown, forehead, nose, face and stomach. Could you please comment on this seeming ambiguity?
I have read that this form of the ukiran with its seven planes or flats has the Sarakarta shape, which is around the city of Solo in Central and Eastern Java. Mr Maisey has said that the blade is North Coast, towards the west. If this ukiran is indeed Central Java, does it mean the two have come from different parts of the island?
Could you perhaps identify the type of wood of this ukiran for me? And a last question: how is it that the patra (cecekan) resembles a kala face?
As you can see, I have done some homework, so as not to put you to too much trouble, but I realise a little bit of quick knowledge can be dangerous. Your comments are very valuable to me! So please tell me what you think.
Johan
Attached Images

Johan van Zyl is offline   Reply With Quote