View Single Post
Old 4th October 2010, 08:54 PM   #15
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by laEspadaAncha
Hi David,

With Gene's permission, I'd like to toss in my $.02 on your dagger... I am of the opinion your knife significantly predates not only the FS knife, but Fairbairn & Sykes themselves...

Having a couple P3 (3rd pattern) FS knives myself, the guard is wrong, as it is significantly thicker on P3 FS knives (I excluded the possibility of P1 & P2 FS knives as they were hand-ground in such a fashion that you would see the diamond cross-section flattened at the forte).

Furthermore, it looks as if Jonathan Crookes began using the stamp "Jonathan Crookes & Son" beginning in 1827. According to a collector's guide I have, the Jonathan Crookes stamp or logo with the heart and pistol dates from 1780-1827.

Regards,

Chris
Hi Chris ,
thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Yes, that makes it much older than I thought
It seems that my knife could exactly date to 1827 .....and there was me convincing myself that this was, perhaps, a surplus/copy F.S. blade hilted for the Scottish/hunting market ....still, in this instance ...its nice to be so wrong

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote