View Single Post
Old 4th October 2010, 05:07 PM   #12
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Gene,
nice example....I hope you don't mind but the Naval issue knife posted by laEspadaAncha is very similar to a dagger I posted a while ago and would very much like his input on it. Would the dagger , link below, be a Naval issue laEspadaAncha ? Thanks for any info

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=antler

Regards David

Hi David,

With Gene's permission, I'd like to toss in my $.02 on your dagger... I am of the opinion your knife significantly predates not only the FS knife, but Fairbairn & Sykes themselves...

Having a couple P3 (3rd pattern) FS knives myself, the guard is wrong, as it is significantly thicker on P3 FS knives (I excluded the possibility of P1 & P2 FS knives as they were hand-ground in such a fashion that you would see the diamond cross-section flattened at the forte).

Furthermore, it looks as if Jonathan Crookes began using the stamp "Jonathan Crookes & Son" beginning in 1827. According to a collector's guide I have, the Jonathan Crookes stamp or logo with the heart and pistol dates from 1780-1827.

Mark - Re: the book, I don't think it will satiate your appetite for Spanish naval reference material...

The book is a catch-all pictorial reference guide, entitled A World Encyclopedia of Swords, Daggers, and Bayonets written by one Dr. Tobias Capwell. I had bought it following an acquisition of several dozen bayonets, as bayos are (at best) a tertiary interest to me. What I found was not only did it provide a rich and diverse pictorial directory of nearly every knife form imaginable, but the author did an excellent job of describing the evolution of the oldest edged fighting implement known to man over the course of five millennia...

In the book is a chapter in the reference section entitled, "Naval Dirks of the 18th and 19th Centuries," in which this exmaple may be found. What makes it a naval dirk is unknown to me...

Regards,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote