View Single Post
Old 15th March 2010, 04:11 AM   #12
kharmachanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
BETTER CLOSEUP PICTURES OF THE POMMELS AND THE MARKING ON THE BLADES MIGHT HELP GET A MORE ACCURATE I.D.
IT IS INTERESTING THAT ALL THREE POMMELS APPEAR TO BE DIFFERENT. THEY MAY BE DRESS SWORDS WHICH WOULD NOT NEED TO BE SHARPENED. THEY ARE IN SWORD/MACHETE FORM BUT NOT REALLY INTENDED FOR WORK. IF THE OWNER WANTED HE COULD HAVE SHARPENED THEM BUT THEY LIKELY CAME WITH A DULL EDGE. ARE THE GRIPS BONE OR SOME OTHER MATERIAL AND IS THE POMMEL AND GAURDS WHITE METAL OR PLATED?. AN INTERESTING THREESOME I LOOK FOWARD TO LEARNING ANY OF THEIR HISTORY YOU FIND OUT.
That is what I was thinking too they may have been dress swords or something more ceremonial then utilitarian. The grips do appear to be bone/ivory (?) or some similar material. As far as the metal, this is not plated, at least my untrained eye cannot see that it is. What ever it is it is solid and the actual metal, it is a gold in color, and the parts that are not tranished (patinaed) can have quite a luster to them. What were they using during that era for ceremonial weaponry? gold? They were for sure poured into a mold as I can see some mold marks (reside/sepage) on the pommels.

is there anyway to determine the approx age via the serial numbers? 500/509/555 I have seen other listings for that same manufacture with numbers in the 2000 and 3000 range.

I have post some more images, close ups of the pommels and handles. I forgot the closeups of the blade markings but I will post those tomorrow.
There is about 6 close ups of each item in the new page.

NEW SWORD IMAGES
kharmachanic is offline   Reply With Quote